Warning: This blog is under the influence of the Holy Spirit. (That's actually a blessing of course. I'm just trying to be fair to the skeptics.)



Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wake Up Kevin, I Think I Have Something To Say To You

So, I am driving to Berkeley Saturday morning. Just this side of the Caldecott, I am listening to Rod Stewart singing Maggie May on a soft rock station out of Sacto, just at the edge of its broadcast range. The lane in front of me opens up and I accelerate to near light speed as I enter the tunnel.

The radio fades to a silent hiss.

In the audio stillness, with no car in front of me, I glide through the entire length of the bore in strange combination of peace, and soothing speed.

On the Oakland side, I emerge into the light and the radio suddenly comes to life. But, what I am hearing is comedy skit…in Portuguese. It sounds like I am listening to an episode of the "Honeymooners" in Portuguese!

This bizarre post-cold war Bay Area radio station punctuated the surreal experience of traveling through the tunnel, unabated and in silence, to a place in time unfamiliar to me. It was as though I had traveled through a wormhole from the 1970’s and emerged in the early 21st Century in roughly the same location.

All told, a very strange experience.

1 comment:

  1. Well Kevin...I want to read it all...more please.....

    ReplyDelete