Warning: This blog is under the influence of the Holy Spirit. (That's actually a blessing of course. I'm just trying to be fair to the skeptics.)



Monday, June 7, 2010

On Seeing Moon Shine

This short poem was inspired by a liminal moment experienced while driving home after midnight on May 27, 2010. I struggled for several days trying to get it to make sense for me; that is, to make the words express what I felt and saw that night. On the 30th I heard from the book of Proverbs (8:22) and the whole thing suddenly came into specific relief. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it. Most of all though, I hope it reaches you with the vision I experienced that night. And, that these words give you reason to pause and reflect. Blessings.

On Seeing Moon Shine

Oh shine o shine o lovely orb
Stirred within me, and arose
this blitheful drama, for me composed?

Black gossamer sky
teases me so on this good night
Cool gray-blue glow…made for these eyes
shower this night with such surprise

Still and emotion, carried down
The air moves not, casting a silent shrill
and renders the air that has no will
And still is damp, from the tempest past
wet leaves and grass, left for me, aghast.

Dark denizen looms
Familiar old friend mountain now shape shifted
What? for me, my eyes now gifted
You move the mountain now …as another world
Placed in this act, my heart unfurled

Is it you moon?
dividing the storm bands to open the sky
and make this act before me…lies?
What fright the ancients felt
Superstitious are such deeds, when in this way
…you tempt these lower needs.
Centuries past, and I now modern
In some sense though, no different than they.
Seeing this way, sees death as its pay.
We belong to the light…not to the that kind of night

But by Grace infused, the heart too has sight
My being knows through Word too…what is true…and what is right
The “craftsman beside Him for His delight”

So no, the moon and mountain are but players for me
The still, the damp, the glow, they but mere players too
Cast upon me with love and mirth
Rendered for me “before my birth”

The gift, and the moment, a shared creation!
as a Father gives in love for His child, easily amused
and loved for what is loved by His child
“Playing before Him all the while’”
And in this way,
…in this True light,
“finds True life.”

Kevin Keeler
May 31, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment